Wednesday 24 July 2013

Homemade Kefir

I couldn't live without my morning yoghurt, with muesli and fruit. So I was so excited when I recently got some kefir grains, known as "yogurt de pajaritos", to make my own fresh kefir. 

Kefir is similar to yoghurt, but is a little different, not only in taste but is also a bit runnier. Don't get me wrong though, it is a tasty substitute and its nutritional value is amazing. It contains lots and lots of beneficial bacteria that help cleanse your body. Kefir also contains many beneficial vitamins, minerals, amino acids and enzymes.





It is super easy to make as all you have to do is add milk (all mammal and soy milk) and leave the kefir grain and milk to ferment for 24-48 hours. Use a sieve to separate the grain and repeat. 




I use the Kefir like yogurt for my breakfast with muesli, nuts and fruits. But the kefir can also be used in drinks like smoothies, due to its runnier consistency.


No comments:

Post a Comment